Location: Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
Employment Type: Full-Time
Total Technology has a full-time position available, in Picatinny Arsenal, for a Technical Writer. The position is located in Picatinny Arsenal. This person will work as part of a team to support the needs of our customer.
This position requires a practical knowledge of a wide range of technical writing and editing, as well as publishing, concepts, methods, principles, and practices. The technical writer in this position will independently plan, draft, edit, and prepare a variety of technical publications such as Depot Maintenance Work Requirements (DMWRs), Technical Manuals (TMs), Modification Work Orders (MWOs), and Process Technique Sheets. In addition, they should have experience coordinating, editing, and finalizing technical documents through application of editing and writing standards, procedures and formatting. This person will prepare technical documents, sheets, or papers based on research, gathering input from subject matter experts and technical advisers. In this role, the candidate will be asked to create equipment descriptions and processes for a targeted audience. They will review material for proper grammatical usage, punctuation, format, spelling, style, and order of presentation. They will rewrite sentences within paragraphs to improve clarity of meaning and consistency. An important role is to assure conformance to military standards (i.e., MIL-STD-40051) and customer specifications. They should maintain records documenting development of documents such as revision tracking, dated milestones, letters of instruction, format, page counts, staff-hours expended, number of drawings and numeric designation, writer, etc. The ideal candidate has experience using state-of-the-art desktop publishing software and other software/hardware to prepare technical documents i.e. word processing, line art creation and manipulation, and CAD or similar assisted drawing software.
- Bachelor's degree in English or Technical Writing is preferred.
- Knowledge in researching the operation of a system, reviewing specifications and/or engineering drawings, and physically examining samples as required.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing technology to develop materials for printing.
- Knowledge of Extensible Markup Language (XML) authoring and application of Content Management Systems, as well as general computer fluency.
- Knowledge of specialized grammar and writing guidelines as they pertain to the preparation of technical manuals and/or publications.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, selecting, and combining information from a variety of sources. Assignments are routine and often constitute parts of more complex assignments. Work may require adherence to security regulations dealing with protection of extremely sensitive information as well as regulations governing safety, surety, and operational readiness guides.
- Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal and relationship skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well within a team.
- Highly detail oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Please note that US Citizenship is required to work on a military installation.
Total Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer as defined by the EEOC. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage all fully qualified candidates to apply. We are a drug-free workplace with pre-employment drug testing, random drug testing, and background verification.